Awesome on the packaging!<div><br></div><div>Is there a way to make the various low level protocols pluggable, say loaded from an .so based on a config file (w/out lowering performance too much of course...) ? If so that would be the best inclusion answer :)</div>
<div><br></div><div>Many Debian packages are maintained in such a way that there is a minimal version of the package, and a -full version of the package, and other -option packages for common cases (see vim), depending on if it actually would be useful for this, packagers (debian developers) may be willing to help on that front.</div>
<div><br></div><div>Language bindings as separate packages is a definite yes!</div><div><br></div><div>As for the examples, I think they very much should be included. In linux (Debian specifically) they can go in /usr/share/zeromq/examples or /usr/share/doc/zeromq/examples and might as well include a /usr/share/doc/zeromq/whitepapers.  Alternately a zeromq-doc package :)</div>
<div><br></div><div>That is my $0.02</div><div><br></div><div>Regards,</div><div>Erich</div><div><br></div><div><div class="gmail_quote">On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 3:43 AM, Martin Sustrik <span dir="ltr"><<a href="mailto:sustrik@fastmq.com">sustrik@fastmq.com</a>></span> wrote:<br>
<blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">Hi all,<br>
<br>
We are currently considering delivering 0MQ as binary packages -<br>
starting with individual Linux distros, later on moving to different OSes.<br>
<br>
The problem is that 0MQ has a lot of configuration options and optional<br>
components. Many of these have to be compiled into the core 0MQ library<br>
and thus cannot be delivered as optional binary packages. So, with<br>
binary packages we should deliver configuration that would work OK for<br>
95% of 0MQ users. The remaining 5% would still have to build the product<br>
from source.<br>
<br>
It would be extremely helpful to get users comments on the best<br>
configuration to be used for binary packages.<br>
<br>
What follows is my personal proposal:<br>
<br>
The core package:<br>
<br>
  libzmq extesions:<br>
    SCTP: no<br>
    PGM: no<br>
    AMQP: no<br>
<br>
  Utilities:<br>
    zmq_server: yes<br>
    cpu frequency estimator: no<br>
<br>
  Addons:<br>
    manual pages: yes<br>
    performance tests: no<br>
    camera example: no<br>
    stock exchange example: no<br>
    chartoom example: no<br>
    butterfly example: no<br>
<br>
Language bindings can be delivered as separate packages:<br>
<br>
    C language binding: yes<br>
    Python language binding: yes<br>
    Java language binding: yes<br>
    CLR binding: yes<br>
<br>
Thoughts? Comments? Requirements?<br>
Martin<br>
_______________________________________________<br>
zeromq-dev mailing list<br>
<a href="mailto:zeromq-dev@lists.zeromq.org">zeromq-dev@lists.zeromq.org</a><br>
<a href="http://lists.zeromq.org/mailman/listinfo/zeromq-dev" target="_blank">http://lists.zeromq.org/mailman/listinfo/zeromq-dev</a><br>
</blockquote></div><br></div>