[zeromq-dev] Moving IRC channel from freenode

Luca Boccassi luca.boccassi at gmail.com
Wed May 19 19:14:07 CEST 2021

On Wed, 2021-05-19 at 18:32 +0200, Benjamin Henrion wrote:
> On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 6:29 PM Luca Boccassi <luca.boccassi at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It looks like Freenode has been subject to an hostile takeover. We
> > should move away the #zeromq IRC channel from it.
> >
> > https://boingboing.net/2021/05/19/freenode-irc-staff-quit-after-new-owner-seizes-control.html
> >
> > The former Freenode staff created a new domain, libera.chat - it seems
> > to be under heavy load and it's not possible to register nickanems
> > right now. There's also the pre-existing oftc.net, which for example
> > hosts all Debian's channels.
> >
> > Any preferences between the two?
>
> A chat which is ZMQ based please, dogfooding is the most important
> concept to learn from!

99.9999% of IRC usage is from new users asking questions as they use
the project for the first time. The main requirement of the channel is
thus ease of access for them, so being part of an established network
where other open source projects are located is fundamental.

Testing new clients/servers can be done by developers separately if
desired, as something like that doesn't exist at all. Also we don't
have the resources nor the time (nor the intention, from my side) to
roll our own infrastructure, with all the massive headaches that brings
in around security and privacy.

--
Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi