[zeromq-dev] Design for a Pub/Sub system

Edwin van den Oetelaar edwin at oetelaar.com
Tue Nov 3 16:05:23 CET 2020

On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 at 15:50, Yanone <post at yanone.de> wrote:

> > Am 03.11.2020 um 14:50 schrieb Bill Torpey <wallstprog at gmail.com>:
> >
> > Another choice could be using UDP, which is supported by the (draft)
> RADIO/DISH socket types in ZeroMQ (http://api.zeromq.org/master:zmq-udp).
> UDP is more a “fire-and-forget” protocol, but it sounds like that would be
> OK for your use case.
> >

> Google Kubernetes, which I have in mind for this for an environment,
> supports UDP, tho documentation is scarce, especially on multicast. I will
> look into this.
>

> > Am 03.11.2020 um 15:20 schrieb Arnaud Loonstra <arnaud at sphaero.org>:
> >
> > Sure you can also go more highlevel using websockets or even MQTT but
> that would just require more of your backend.
>
> Websockets as well as MQTT are TCP-based protocols, aren't they, and
> therefore I run into the same limitations?
>
> ##
>
> In any case, one question of mine has remained unanswered so far:
> How does one realize horizontal scaling? So far everyone seems to assume a
> single machine/node.

No I did not.

> Regardless of the socket type used, I will run into some limit at some
> point. Then I need to add nodes to the cluster. How is the load balanced
> between them?

Distributing it, can be as simple as splitting the topic hierarchie, using
SRV records on the DNS to go to multiple servers in globally distributed
cloud, using a redirector, cluster/bridge/proxy, or something else.
I am not worried about that part, as long as you do not hardcode the IPv4
address of your server in your client software ;-) (joke)