[zeromq-dev] Design for a Pub/Sub system

Yanone post at yanone.de
Tue Nov 3 15:50:24 CET 2020

> Am 03.11.2020 um 14:50 schrieb Bill Torpey <wallstprog at gmail.com>:
>
> Another choice could be using UDP, which is supported by the (draft) RADIO/DISH socket types in ZeroMQ (http://api.zeromq.org/master:zmq-udp).  UDP is more a “fire-and-forget” protocol, but it sounds like that would be OK for your use case.

Google Kubernetes, which I have in mind for this for an environment, supports UDP, tho documentation is scarce, especially on multicast. I will look into this.

> Am 03.11.2020 um 15:20 schrieb Arnaud Loonstra <arnaud at sphaero.org>:
>
> Sure you can also go more highlevel using websockets or even MQTT but that would just require more of your backend.

Websockets as well as MQTT are TCP-based protocols, aren't they, and therefore I run into the same limitations?

##

In any case, one question of mine has remained unanswered so far:
How does one realize horizontal scaling? So far everyone seems to assume a single machine/node.

Regardless of the socket type used, I will run into some limit at some point. Then I need to add nodes to the cluster. How is the load balanced between them?

Thank you everyone
Yanone

--

Yanone