[zeromq-dev] ZMQ - Send std::shared_ptr via inproc pub-sub?

Serguei Khasimkhanov SerKhas at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 24 19:11:23 CEST 2020

Hello all,

I have a publisher thread that has a bunch of shared_ptrs to large chunks of data. Occasionally I want to share some of those shared_ptrs with subscribers (for read-only.) The problem is that ZeroMQ only allows sending binary data, not C++ objects. How can I accomplish this?

I was thinking I could allocate a copy of the shared_ptr on the heap, then publish a pointer to it, but since I don't know when the subscribers are done using that pointer, I don't know when to deallocate it.

- Ser