[zeromq-dev] Question about building on MacOS

Sean Ryan sryan at evercrack.com
Thu Sep 26 23:24:22 CEST 2019

Greetings,

I'm trying to build libzmq from source into the ZeroMQ.framework for embedding into an application ( I fully admit to not being a cmake/Mac expert ), and ran into difficulty.

I have tried this with the latest_release, as well as master.

If I set the ZMQ_BUILD_FRAMEWORK=OFF ( also the default ), the make && make test work totally fine.

The last error in the cmake error log doesn't make sense in this context and appears to be related to a getrandom test done just before.

Any thoughts?

/Sean

The error I get is:
==============
-- Checking pthread_setaffinity signature
-- Checking whether getrandom is supported
-- Could NOT find AsciiDoc (missing: ASCIIDOC_EXECUTABLE)
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:1103 (add_custom_command):
  No TARGET 'libzmq' has been created in this directory.
... <couple CTest warnings that are not relevant I think>
See also "/Users/sryan/code/test/libzmq-master/_build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "/Users/sryan/code/test/libzmq-master/_build/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".

CMakeOutput.log:
===============
https://pastebin.com/LMwfLJCQ

CMakeError.log
=============
https://pastebin.com/pSyV7GRp

CMakeLists.txt:1103 ( looks ok to me? )
=================
if(ZMQ_BUILD_FRAMEWORK)
  add_custom_command(
  TARGET libzmq
  POST_BUILD
  COMMAND ${CMAKE_COMMAND}
  ARGS -E make_directory "${CMAKE_LIBRARY_OUTPUT_PATH}/ZeroMQ.framework/Versions/${ZMQ_VERSION}/MacOS"
  COMMENT "Perf tools")
endif()

Details:
=======
ZMQ: libzmq 4.3.2
OS: OSX 10.14.5
XCODE: 10.2
DATE: 2019-09-26

curl --output libzmq-latest_release.zip https://codeload.github.com/zeromq/libzmq/zip/latest_release
unzip libzmq-latest_release.zip
cd libzmq-latest_release
mkdir _build
cd _build
cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" -D CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -D ZMQ_BUILD_FRAMEWORK=ON  ..