[zeromq-dev] decentralize git with pub/sub

alex. thissideup at riseup.net
Mon Jul 29 08:17:13 CEST 2019

Alas, "hosting yourself" is a murky concept:
- Do you run your service on a virtual server? Then who hosts your vServer?
- Do you run your service on bare metal? Then who hosts your datacenter,
where the metal is located?
- Do you run your bare metal on your own internet connection? Then who
is your provider?

The fact of the matter is is that there is no jurisdiction-free
cyberspace and moreover the jurisdictions of independent countries do
slowly catch up to the technology. And such a debate is pointless
anyway. It's also not the question at hand.

So let's get back to the initial question: a decentralized git. The fact
of the matter is is that git is a decentralized protocol. The irony of
the matter is is that a lot of platforms spruced up leveraging git,
adding incredible features - but being centralized. If C4 requires bug
tracking and pull requests, then that is a problem for decentralization.

However, it should be possible to make those platforms work in a
decentralized manner. I.e. multiple entry-points for submitting, polling
and reviewing. Note though that a decentralized infrastructure always
comes at increased maintenance costs. Plus the development cost. But
that's one option.

Another option is we look into free (as in freedom and in beer) hosting
alternatives outside of the US, e.g. in a EU-based datacenter. While "if
a foreign company does business with US businesses but also Iranian
businesses, it is a target of those US sanctions" is true, it's also
true that the EU plans to reimburse that EU-based company's losses so as
to nullify these sanctions.

In any case, ZeroMQ is not the only dev project having these problems.
Communication, concertation and solidarity is key here.

alex.