[zeromq-dev] zeroMQ for resumable file transfer

Bob Eby ebyrob at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 17:08:03 CEST 2018

> From: SIMON BABY <simonkbaby at gmail.com>
> Subject: [zeromq-dev] zeroMQ for resumable file transfer

> Can I know if zeroMQ can be used for file transfer between machines sitting
> at different locations.

ZeroMQ is a network library for transporting data.  What you do with
the data in the endpoints you create is up to you.  (ie: saving it as
file or reading from file etc)

> Also I would like to know if it support load
> balancing between interfaces.  That means if I have multiple interfaces
> between machines, will it uses all the interfaces at the same time to
> transfer Data ? Do we have a sample code in C++?

ZeroMQ pretty much corresponds one zmq_connect() call with one
"socket" connect.  (Not all transports use sockets, but logically it
still uses this concept)  In practice, this means you'd likely want
more than one ZMQ socket to use multiple different networks (or
network adapters) to simultaneously send traffic.  That said, there
are simple models where you could create a proxy that promoted a
simple connection on each end to something more like the load
balancing you're talking about.

Likely you may want push-pull pattern on the endpoints, with some kind
of load balancing in the middle.  Perhaps similar to the example in
the guide for: "Figure 5 - Parallel Pipeline"

The ZeroMQ guide is here: http://zguide.zeromq.org/page:all
The guide does a great job explaining possible patterns and
methodologies for using ZeroMQ.

Good Luck,
Bob