[zeromq-dev] Curve messaging security capacity

frank soundart at gmx.net
Tue Jan 9 11:42:58 CET 2018

On 01/08/2018 06:01 AM, James Gatannah wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2018 15:08:02 +0000
>> From: Stephen Gray <riskybizlive at live.com>
>> To: ZeroMQ development list <zeromq-dev at lists.zeromq.org>
>>
>> When profiled the calls to boost::serialization seem to dominate, crypto stuff is further down the
>> list.  When the modules in use by the app are examined libsodium.dll doesn't feature; though I
>> have placed it in the same folder as the application.  It was also available when I built zmq &
>> czmq from source.  What do I need to do to make the app use libsodium?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Stephen.
>
> Disclaimer: It's been a long time since I bothered trying to compile
> anything on windows, and I haven't tried to use libsodium since
> TweetNaCl.
>
> If you're using Visual Studio, it seems like this should be a project setting.
>
> If you're using GNU tools (the last time I messed with it, mingw made
> life much nicer), it seems like this should be an option to
> ./configure.
>
> Or am I just completely out of touch with the way things work now?
>
> Humbly,
> James

If you use cmake instead of mingw: look into the top level CMake file

https://github.com/zeromq/libzmq/blob/master/CMakeLists.txt#L33

# Select curve encryption library, defaults to tweetnacl
# To use libsodium instead, use --with-libsodium (must be installed)
# To disable curve, use --disable-curve

option (WITH_LIBSODIUM "Use libsodium instead of built-in tweetnacl" OFF)
option (ENABLE_CURVE "Enable CURVE security" ON)

if (NOT ENABLE_CURVE)
message (STATUS "CURVE security is disabled")

The comment "-with-libsodium " is probably a bit misleading.

Something like

cmake -DWITH_LIBSODIUM=ON

should work ..?

regards