[zeromq-dev] Curve messaging security capacity

Stephen Gray riskybizlive at live.com
Fri Jan 5 13:46:32 CET 2018

I'm building up a 'clone' pattern distributed app for transmission of time-series data using CZMQ and with the option to either enable or disable CURVE security ala IRONHOUSE.

It has a PUSH->{PROXY: PULL->PUB}->SUB arrangement for delivery of latest updates and ROUTER->DEALER for data history requests and responses.

It's functioning nicely in initial testing, both with CURVE enabled or disabled.

However when I increase the number of data points (from a few hundred) to one million it starts creating an issue.

With CURVE disabled the million data points (requested DEALER->ROUTER as 1000 messages x 1000 data points each) are requested, delivered and synchronised in the blink of an eye.

When CURVE is enabled then the client just gets DISCONNECTED whenever it tries to connect & make the 1000 x 1000 message requests.  The 1000 requests are fast and sequential.  I tried changing to 100 messages x 10000 datapoints; but this made no difference.

Are there some messaging limits in the CURVE protocol.  Anyone know why I might get this behaviour?

With thanks,

Stephen.
P.S. Code for this is long & involved, too much to expect anyone to read. ;-)