[zeromq-dev] how to reliably wait for SUBscribers to connect before sending messages

Mykola Ostrovskyy spambox03 at mail.ru
Fri Jan 5 11:55:55 CET 2018

Francesco,

This is kind of a classic issue with PUB-SUB. You will have quite some
results by googling for "zeromq reliable pub-sub".

AFAIK, the proper solution is to have an additional communication channel
with a stronger message delivery guarantee (e.g. REQ-REP). The PUB server
can broadcast some dummy messages and wait on REP socket for replies. As
soon as client connects with SUB, subscribes, and start to receive the
dummy messages, it sends over REQ socket a request for the actual data.

This approach may require quite some design changes, which is not always
welcome. If you need this only for testing purposes, you could try to go
with a socket monitor instead. There are ZMQ_EVENT_ACCEPTED and
ZMQ_EVENT_HANDSHAKE_SUCCEED events. Listening for them on PUB socket will
give you an idea when client connects. But I believe there still will be
some time window before client subscription is handled, so you may still
need some delay before starting to send messages on PUB.

Regards,
Mykola