[zeromq-dev] IPv6 multicast RADIO/DISH

Lionel Flandrin lionel at svkt.org
Thu Apr 26 18:21:05 CEST 2018

On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 08:49:17AM -0400, Brian Adamson wrote:
> Hi Lionel,
>
> Although it isn’t yet supported with the ZMQ API’s, the NORM
> protocol can be configured with receiver feedback disabled to
> provide an unreliable UDP-like best effort service with the added
> benefit of its message fragmentation and reassembly when messages
> are larger than the network MTU.  Additionally the FEC-based packet
> erasure coding can also be invoked if desired to provide a
> quasi-reliable “better than best effort” service where a number of
> FEC parity packets per coding block (where a “block” is a block of
> packets) can be set that are sent in addition to the user data
> packets.  It would be interesting to explore adding some additional
> options for the NORM binding.  I haven’t had time to spend on that
> but would be happy to help someone who wanted to take a shot at it.

Hello Brian,

It does sound enticing, my main worry is that I run on an embedded
system with relatively limited RAM resources and I try to avoid
unnecessary overhead wherever I can. Well, the fact that I'm using
python shows that it's not entirely true but that's code I can rewrite
in a future update if I want to save a few MB, the communication
protocol I'll have to stick with for the lifetime of the product so
I'm in a bit of a "premature optimization" mindset.

I've been reading about NORM and while it does seem very nice I only
need a tiny subset of the functionality (effectively UDP RADIO/DISH)
so I'm a bit on the fence about adding such a large dependency just
because ZMQ's UDP sockets don't yet support IPv6.

I think I need to give it a little more thought before I commit either
way but I do appreciate your feedback.

--
Lionel Flandrin