[zeromq-dev] Pub/Sub scalability over TCP vs epgm/pgm

Luca Boccassi luca.boccassi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 21:00:03 CEST 2018

On Mon, 2018-04-09 at 17:29 +0400, Zubair Ali wrote:
> I have requirement to implement market data distribution application
> which
> can have topics around 500 and subscribers could be from 500 to 1000.
> Please note that subscribers can be anywhere globally not on our
> network.
> We use Amazon EC2 for running data distribution application.
> Will this be easily managed by pub/sub sockets based on tcp ? or I
> have to
> use pub/sub with multicast ? I tried pub/sub on tcp for about 200
> subscribers with 100 topics. I noticed with the increase of
> subscribers,
> delay on subscriber side to receive messages also increases.
> Your advise or guidance will be much appreciated.
>
> Many Thanks,
> Zubair

The only way to know is to test it - there is not much difference from
the point of view of your application, switching transport is easy (as
long as you are on Linux and use the library for your distribution or
from our OBS repository, which comes pre-built with PGM and NORM
support).

Obviously when using TCP if you have N subscribers then you will have N
TCP connections, and that will have an effect - how much depends on
your system and your application. It might be negligible, or it might
not.

--
Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi