[zeromq-dev] If we compile ZeroMQ sources without modifying them, and link the resulting DLL to an executable that is part of our commercial product , does this make our whole product become a software under LGPL license?

Luca Boccassi luca.boccassi at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 11:19:11 CET 2017

On Mon, 2017-11-13 at 06:48 +0000, Am Shalem, Shlomo [BWIIL] wrote:
> Hello
>
> We are two people in our company, who are getting to opposite
> conclusions, when reading the license and the license FAQ...
> Could you please help us with the doubt?
>
> If we compile ZeroMQ sources without modifying them, and link the
> resulting DLL to an executable that is part of  our  commercial
> product ,
>
>   1.  Does this make our whole product become a software under LGPL
> license?
>   2.  OR does this maintain it as legal, closed-source software?
>
> Thanks
>
> Motivation: We are interested in compiling the sources because we are
> using a late version of VisualStudio for which we did not find
> compiled DLL in the ZeroMQ depository.

The short answers is the 2, the license of your code is not affected.

The verboser explanation is that any LGPL code can be dynamically
linked to software of any license without affecting it. libzmq offers
an additional grant of top of that which also allows statically
linking.

https://github.com/zeromq/libzmq/blob/master/COPYING.LESSER#L169

--
Kind regards,