[zeromq-dev] new zeromq binding for Igor Pro

Simon.Giesecke at btc-ag.com Simon.Giesecke at btc-ag.com
Thu Jul 27 15:39:05 CEST 2017

Hi,

I don't want to be nitpicking, but in what way is this a ZeroMQ *binding*? There are bindings for the libzmq library for various programming languages (e.g. jzmq for Java), but the programming language here is C/C++. Neither is it a custom implementation of ZeroMQ (such as JeroMQ).

The description says: "The ZeroMQ XOP allows to interface with Igor Pro over the network using ZeroMQ as messaging layer and JSON as message format."

In slightly other words, it exposes functions of the Igor Pro software via an RPC mechanism, which *uses* ZeroMQ as the transport. This is certainly useful, but not a binding.

I am not 100% sure if some part of the library (the zeromq_*.cpp source files) can be understood as a binding to ZeroMQ, but this is also not comparable to other bindings as mentioned above, since only some limited functionality of ZeroMQ is exposed by these functions (single global socket with fixed socket type etc.).

Best regards
Simon