[zeromq-dev] czmqjni status?

James Gatannah james.gatannah at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 04:30:39 CEST 2017

I've been dabbling with the bindings from github and the source
distribution, and I'm starting to suspect that they aren't in a usable
state yet.

My specific problem is that I can't figure out how to send a message.

The closest I've managed to get is using Zframe.send(), which takes a
long parameter for the destination. If I pass in the Zsocket's .self
member, I get an error about attempting a socket operation on a
non-socket.

Zsock.send() can't possibly work, since it only passes along the first
of the variadic arguments.

I haven't spent much time with Zmsg, since I'm using client/server
socket types, but it seems to have the same problems as Zframe.

Am I missing something obvious? Based on what I've found in the
mailing list archives, it looks like people expect this to work.

I've run across a few other issues that seem like they should be
low-hanging fruit (the "standard" czmq socket creation methods really
should be static, for example), but I've never had a chance to do more
than glance at GSL when I was reading through the Guide the first
time, and I've only briefly glanced at zproject.

And, if this is a stable API, then obviously that part couldn't be
changed anyway (not that that's a barrier to adding appropriate static
methods).

Alternatively, I see a lot of recommendations here to just use jeromq
instead. Does anyone have any recommendations about the difficulty of
implementing CLI/SRV there as opposed to jzmq? As ugly as JNI code and
that build/installation process is, at least I spent some time digging
through that code a few years back.

Thanks,
James