[zeromq-dev] inproc message delivery

Max Kozlovsky max at portworx.com
Wed Apr 5 23:50:08 CEST 2017

Hi,

What exactly is your test doing? What is your message size and how many
messages you send at a time?

For a test that send one small message at a time between two threads it is
does make sense that IPC message passing would be roughly the same as
inproc transport.

Inproc transport will add a message to the peer queue, then write to an
eventfd that other thread epoll()s. The other thread would wake up, read
the eventfd to clear the event and process message from the queue.

Compare this with IPC message passing. Sender would write a small message
directly to the other process socket, that other thread polls. The receiver
will read a small message from kernel and process the message.

As you can see, the two are almost exactly equivalent.

You should see some difference when messages are bigger because of memory
copy avoidance, or when multiple messages are sent, when extra system calls
are avoided.

Max