[zeromq-dev] BDFL literally

Ewen McNeill zeromq at ewen.mcneill.gen.nz
Thu Oct 6 23:39:45 CEST 2016

On 6/10/16 20:18, Trevor Bernard wrote:
> Don't worry about sponsorship. My company will pay to renew them for
> the next while (within reason). Just send me the details and I'll pay
> the the bill.

Replying to the list, since a couple of people have asked.

I think Doron would much appreciate someone paying for the ZeroMQ
related domains (first list below) for a while.

For the others, it's probably only worth paying for them if (a) they
point at something useful that is difficult to find another way (or
linked to a lot) or (b) it'd be problematic if a domain squatter got
hold of the name.  Pieter actively took most of these off auto-renew,
expecting them to expire -- I talked with him about it earlier in the
year, and he clearly intended to let many of them expire.  So it doesn't
seem helpful to renew the ones that Pieter planned to let go without a
good reason.

ZeroMQ-related Domains (now held by Doron; I'm sure he'd welcome someone
paying their renewal fees -- around EUR 12-13/domain/year I think):

curvezmq.org
filemq.org
zeromq.com
zeromq.net
zeromq.org
zmtp.org
zyre.com
zyre.org

Book-related domains (not sure if all of these got set up/used, but
clearly reserved for books Pieter was working on; dates are the current
expiry date):

codeconnected.org (2016-12-14)
cultureandempire.com (2017-08-05)
psychopathcode.com (2017-09-28)
thepsychopathcode.com (2017-09-28)
scalablec.org (2017-01-08)
scalable-c.com (2017-01-31)
scalablec.com (2017-01-31)

(only cultureandempire.com is marked to auto-renew, and I'm not sure if
that was intended or just overlooked when turning off auto-renew; the
ones that point at something mostly seem to point at the relevant
gitbook page.)

Personal:

hintjens.com (2017-10-24)

(Transferred to a family member earlier this year, on the condition that
hintjens.com itself stayed pointing at Pieter's blog and they kept
paying to renew it; I'm sure they'd be pleasantly surprised if someone
were to pay to renew it for a couple more years.)

Software projects (past/present/future):

changeflow.com (2017-03-07)
openamq.org (2017-08-21)
restms.org (2020-10-30)

(as noted in my earlier message someone just paid to renew restms.org
for several years -- thanks; the other two are old iMatix projects, and
AFAICT the changeflow.com one doesn't point at anything)

Activism related:

digistan.org (2017-09-24)
eupaco.org (2017-10-25)

(These two are on auto-renew from the remaining prepaid balance of
Pieter's account, but might be good candidates for transfer if there was
someone clearly community supported to take custody of them as an archive)

Other (unknown/not pointing at anything):

xpoc.org (2016-10-21)
formiq.io (2017-01-07)
swsi.info (2016-10-10)
smooth.af (2017-02-01; seems to be a Rick Roll, not sure why)
freeandopenwar.com (2017-02-14)
ipocracy.org (2016-11-16; redirect to hintjens.com)
smoothscript.com (2017-02-15)
brusselsvalley.com (2017-02-28)

I think all of those "other" ones might as well expire unless someone
recognises an in-progress project they were supposed to go with.

Plus three "iMatix" domains which I or one of the ex-iMatix developers
will pay for (as noted in my earlier message the main one, imatix.com,
just got renewed for several years by kind donation).  And two "Xitami"
(early iMatix webserver) related ones which might as well just expire in
a couple of years -- Xitami hasn't been an active project in about 10 years.

Ewen