[zeromq-dev] download.zeromq.org: last call

Ewen McNeill zeromq at ewen.mcneill.gen.nz
Mon May 30 01:32:41 CEST 2016

On 27/05/16 20:58, Benjamin Henrion wrote:
> On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 9:54 AM, Doron Somech <somdoron at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I can create S3 account for older releases, let me know if it still needed
>> or archive is enough.
>
> I made a mirror here:
> http://filez.zoobab.com/zmq/download.zeromq.org/

Thanks for the mirror.

I think archive.org _and_ a "mirror of our own" (thanks Benjamin) should
be sufficient, without needing someone to keep a S3 account open to keep
another copy online.[0]

About the only other thing I can think of which may break is various
"distribution package repositories" whose master download version points
at download.zeromq.org URLs.  And I don't see a quick solution to that
other than perhaps finding a way to point the download.zeromq.org DNS
name at a complete mirror _and_ then encouraging those package
repositories to update to the GitHub releases.

Possibly Doron/Benjamin could work on a way to point download.zeromq.org
at Benjamin's mirror in a way that maintains the existing URLs
continuity for now?  (Unfortunately archive.org and S3 aren't really a
solution to that auto-generated download url situation, as the structure
of the download URLs changes -- both have another layer of directory
hierarchy in them for the release version.)

Eg, MacPorts:

https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/devel/czmq/Portfile
https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/devel/zmq/Portfile

which have:

master_sites        http://download.zeromq.org/

and auto-generated download URLs.  (MacPorts even has a zmq22 as a
legacy dependency, which I hadn't put on GitHub.)

(Distributions like Debian tend to maintain their own original archive
mirrors so changes should only affect the maintainers, who presumably
can follow updated links on the "get the software" page.  And hopefully
also at least periodically check in on this list.)

Ewen

[0] Worst case, something "pretty much identical" to those
download.zeromq.org files can be re-created out of the git repositories
with a bit of work, just without the original dates/MD5SUMs matching.
And most of the older releases (eg, older than the current 4.x and 3.x
releases) are just for historical research at this point.  (The most
recent 4.1.4 and 3.2.5 are hosted on GitHub as well as archive.org, with
the download links pointed at the GitHub versions.)