[zeromq-dev] download.zeromq.org: last call

Ewen McNeill zeromq at ewen.mcneill.gen.nz
Thu May 26 05:24:55 CEST 2016

This is the "last call" for download.zeromq.org.  If you want anything off:

http://download.zeromq.org/

which you don't already have, please download it ASAP.  The VM hosting
it (an iMatix VM) will be shut down in the next couple of weeks,
possibly as early as 1 June 2016 (if the last few outstanding issues are
sorted out).

The main outstanding issue I'm aware of is that:

http://zeromq.org/intro:get-the-software

points at download.zeromq.org, and so far I've (a) not been able to add
the "pre-built" archives to the appropriate GitHub Releases pages, and
(b) do not know who has access to edit that page.

If you can (a) edit the GitHub releases for zeromq3-x or zeromq4-1 (ie,
have an "Edit" button next to the Releases on those pages), or (b) edit
the "get-the-software" page I'd love to hear from you.

See:

https://github.com/zeromq/zeromq3-x/issues/124
https://github.com/zeromq/zeromq4-1/issues/123

(Pieter adding me to the repositories didn't seem sufficient; I've filed
a GitHub support request to ask about permissions needed, but if someone
else has access and is willing to add the existing archives that'd save
some time.)

I believe all tarballs/zip files from download.zeromq.org have been
uploaded to archive.org (as of this morning):

https://archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22zeromq%22%20subject%3A%22imatix%22

(I'm trying to get an archive.org "collection" created, called "zeromq",
to make them a bit easier to navigate, but the process seems very manual
so this may take a while.)

To collect references to recent(ish) versions of those, that people
might want, I've taken advantage of (a) having write access to zeromq3-x
and zeromq4-1 and (b) the fact that the "gh-pages" branch wasn't used
and created two simple index pages linking to the 3.x and 4.x versions:

https://zeromq.github.io/zeromq3-x/
https://zeromq.github.io/zeromq4-1/

which are backed by links to https://archive.org/download/...

(If anyone really hates this approach feel free to do something else.
But this solved my problem of "how do people figure out which links to
use to get at recent releases".)

There's nothing linking to the _older_ files directly, but if someone
wants to create such a page I'm happy to send the CSV file used to
upload the files to archive.org and the hacky Python script I used to
build those two pages from that CSV file.

Ewen