[zeromq-dev] Adding a last-good tag to commits

Benjamin Henrion zoobab at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 22:23:17 CET 2016

On 11 Mar 2016 22:19, "Osiris Pedroso" <opedroso at gmail.com> wrote:

> I had the idea to somehow mark a commit as the last known good build for
each targets which we have Travis-CI enabled.
> Basically the Travis-Ci script would mark the repository only if the
build completed with no errors.

> Same idea could be used to mark the last commit for which all automated
tests were successfully run.

> Both of these would allow to track down exact PRs that broke something
and then let one analyze how that one specific change in next commit can be
fixed.

using a git tag. The tag could encode any other information such as the
OS/compiler version used to do the build with.

> This would also help when selecting to make a new master, since the maker
could be aware for which OSs this master would compile/run out of the box
without a problem.

> I believe this to be worth pursuing.
>
> Let me know what you think.

I was doing that in the past with Jenkins, it worked well as long as you
don't polute the same commit with multiple builds like daily if the code
did not change.