[zeromq-dev] Defaulting to tweetnacl?

frank soundart at gmx.net
Tue Mar 1 12:03:58 CET 2016

Hi,

I added tweetnacl to libzmq in 2014 and would like to add my opinion too.

tweetnacl as it is integrated now is very nice for people starting with
compiling from source
e.g. developers using higher level languages like python and requiring
latest code changes.
- it will just work and produce not too many problems.

Removing tweetnacl from the libzmq source distribution and using e.g. a
tweetnacl debian package for debian libzmq will hurt in  two ways:

- There will be again libzmq builds without encryption at all
- libzmq on debian will not use libsodium and probably have a slower libzmq

So i would say:

- Make tweetnacl default for source builds and leave it inside the
libzmq tar ball.
- Add a recommendation to the documentation advising people producing
binary packages to link to libsodium

kind regards
  Frank