[zeromq-dev] select and Multiple Provider Restrictions on Windows

Ilya Kulakov kulakov.ilya at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 15:07:35 CET 2016

According to https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms739177(v=vs.85).aspx <https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms739177(v=vs.85).aspx>,
implementation of POSIX's select on Windows restricts fd_set to contain descriptors from only one provider.
This recently became a problem with my VMCI implementation, because VMCI sockets are of a different family
(I assume provider = family in Window's terminology).

While I'm working on a fix, I'm wondering why it wasn't a problem before, given that signaler uses the loopback interface on Windows.
Can anyone think of a problem that can be related to this restriction?

Best Regards,
Ilya Kulakov