[zeromq-dev] On hooking memory allocations

Auer, Jens jens.auer at cgi.com
Fri Dec 2 10:50:46 CET 2016

Hi Michel,

thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely gie it a try. I tried tcmalloc and jemalloc once, but the improvement was not so big. If I understood tcmalloc correctly they use a per-thread cache for allocations. I didn't think of gc.

In my system I have a component which basically receives a data stream (260MB/s, one data frame is 1129 bytes) from an external source, extracts a stream identifier and publishes the data again on a PUB socket with the stream id as a topic. Each frame of 1129 is published as a message part. It also does some filtering and integrate control sockets for RPC, but this is negligible performance-wise. When I profile this I see malloc/free as one of the hot spots. I can also improve performance by increasing the recv buffer in ZeroMQ, but malloc still stays of course. The application is  well within the requirements and has enough margin, but I am interested in tuning options.

Cheers,
Jens

--
Jens Auer | CGI | Software-Engineer
CGI (Germany) GmbH & Co. KG

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: Proprietary/Confidential information belonging to CGI Group Inc. and its affiliates may be contained in this message. If you are not a recipient indicated or intended in this message (or responsible for delivery of this message to such person), or you think for any reason that this message may have been addressed to you in error, you may not use or copy or deliver this message to anyone else. In such case, you should destroy this message and are asked to notify the sender by reply e-mail.