[zeromq-dev] Stable release downloads (was Re: CZMQ "stable" release versioning)

Ewen McNeill zeromq at ewen.mcneill.gen.nz
Fri Apr 29 02:30:44 CEST 2016

On 28/04/16 19:56, Benjamin Henrion wrote:
>> PS: Re http://www.zoobab.com/github-sucks-wget-unfriendly, the issue seems
>> to be the URL structure doesn't have the filename at the end.
>
> Let's prepare an open letter. I am sure lot of people will sign it up.

 From some digging around there appears to be an _unofficial_ de facto
"github issues" tracker here:

https://github.com/isaacs/github/issues

(because GitHub don't have one of their own); it seems to be getting "up
votes" and the like from people.  There's about 500 issues there neatly
tagged with things like "releases", "enhancement", etc.

Official requests for GitHub itself to actually do something seem to be
still via support at github.com.

So possibly the best idea is to add an issue to that unofficial github
issues tracker and then email support at github.com with (a) the text of
the issue (so it's right in front of them) and (b) the URL to the issue
(so they can see other people who agree it's an issue).  Then encourage
people to comment on that issue if it bugs them.

I think we want to ask something like "please add 'file/FILENAME' to the
end of your release URLs, so that software that uses the last component
of the filename when saving the file, eg, wget, will automatically save
the release with the right filename."  Is that consistent with your
understanding of the issue?

Ewen

PS: There are a few more "issues" in there about the release feature,
but AFAICT on a quick glance none of them are specifically for that
particular URL structure issue.