[zeromq-dev] Per publisher filter

Charles West crwest at ncsu.edu
Thu May 14 22:54:45 CEST 2015

Hello,

Is there any way to hack together per publisher filters?

I'm working on a application to distribute differential GPS updates from
low cost single frequency GPS basestations.  The idea is that someone can
buy a cheap basestation module and provide differential GPS corrections to
not just their hardware, but that of everyone around them.

My original thought for how to implement this had the basestation creating
a PUB socket and registering with one or more proxies/aggregators which
would then subscribe to their corrections feed.  Someone trying to find a
nearby basestation to subscribe to connects to the proxy, gets a list of
the close by ones and then subscribes to the proxy with the associated
basestation ID as the filter.

The problem I am running into is that I don't see any way to prevent a
malicious user from disrupting not just their stream but everyone else's
too.  Subscriber sockets don't keep track of which publisher created any
given message, so I don't have any way to prevent publishers from
preappending someone else's basestation ID to the messages they publish.
That means a single user could corrupt everyone else's stream.

Is there any option like ROUTER for subscribers, where messages get IDs
based on who sent them?  Alternatively, is there some way to make a per
publisher filter?  I don't think XSUB can do either of those.

Thanks,
Charlie West