[zeromq-dev] zyre

Arnaud Loonstra arnaud at sphaero.org
Mon Mar 23 14:42:43 CET 2015

On 2015-03-20 14:41, Pieter Hintjens wrote:
> Could you provide me a spec for the multicast? Then I'll add it to
> the RFC.
>
> The other discovery methods I'd like to eventually make are bluetooth
> and manual (i.e. provide the Zyre API with node endpoints taken from
> arbitrary mechanisms).

It's not very different from broadcast. I've copied code from an early
prototype before I adopted ZRE. The prototype use address 225.25.25.25
(the foundation I work with is called z25 hence the 25). Portnr can
remain the same. The socket setup is slightly different. We've discussed
before setting the TTL to 1 so traffic is not leaked accidentally.
Crossing multiple network segments would then be done consciously.

I personally feel multicast should be the default. IPv6 doesn't even
have broadcast and I haven't encountered issues with multicast on
reasonable platforms. I don't know what policies are used in wireless
networks but there's a chance that multicast is allowed where broadcast
isn't.

Rg,

Arnaud