[zeromq-dev] Configuration help requested

Larry White ljw1001 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 18:34:05 CET 2015

Hi Kenneth, Thank you. Some comments/questions below.

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 11:59 AM, Kenneth Adam Miller <
kennethadammiller at gmail.com> wrote:

> What if instead of sending from the tail, you just used a push socket that
> the head could wait on in a loop. The REP socket could send a reply to the
> client immediately after having received from the tail on a pull socket. In
> this way, you still get what you want, and don't have to deal with the idea
> of maintaining addresses to send to the tail in order that they be sent to
> the right destination.

i think this might work, but seems as complex as forwarding the addresses.
I guess I was under the impression that this kind of forwarding loop
architecture was straightforward in ZeroMQ.

> Another cool idea that might be of interest to you is the idea that
> mutiple requests can be concurrently processed in the chain, with the head
> accepting and forwarding as many as can be read on the socket. In this way,
> the entire system isn't waiting as I implied above; you have higher
> throughput this way, because that's less time spent doing nothing but
> waiting. In any case, I think the way to do this would be to use a router
> socket at the head, and forward the address from the original client around
> through your chain. When that address gets back use it to send on the
> router socket.
>
> This is why I was using the PUSH socket between links. If I understand
these sockets correctly, a link can work as quickly as possible, push work
for the next link, then start working on its next request.  This should
maximize the throughput of the chain, I think, as the only thing that's
blocking are the clients.