[zeromq-dev] problem with socket idendity

Peter Ritter ritter.pet at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 12:29:03 CEST 2015

Hello Everyone

I got into ZeroMQ a few weeks ago, after having read The Guide a few years
ago. I got some of the simple examples to work, but am having problems with
more complex things. I am developing some classes for asynchronous client
server messaging, with automatic heartbeating and an event loop on both the
client and server side. I also created a class representing
multi_frame_messages to make all this a little easier. Its really a pity
something like this doesn't already exist.

Anyway, my problem is the following: For debugging purposes I am explicitly
setting the idendity of each client socket, passing a string like
"client1", "client2". This works for simple examples, but somehow the
client name does not come through to the server side (router socket) in the
class I created. I get a bunch of 'weird' characters which seem to be what
the system uses by default. What is the nature of the default idendity
data? Is it a binary number? How can I display it properly?
I also would like to know under what circumstance the idendity string that
I set can get lost as it does? I tried this with 'inproc' and 'tcp' type
connections.

I am working on MS-Windows8, and I am using the latest stable version,
downloaded a few days ago.

Thanks, Peter