[zeromq-dev] zyre questions

Kalyan Bade kalyanbade at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 10:46:41 CET 2015

Hi folks,

I am new to zmq/czmq and zyre. Please pardon me if these questions are too
basic.

I am trying to use zyre for inter-thread communication and discovery of
nodes. Each thread doesn't have the prior knowledge of which thread it
needs to communicate to. So instead of maintaining my own mesh of messaging
nodes (threads) and their discovery, I went with zyre. I hope its not way
off from its intended usage.

I could get the multicast (group) messaging work fine. But I am stuck with
unicast messages using zyre_whisper. The API is expecting the peer's UUID
as an argument. How do I get that information? I have the peer name
available. Is there a way to get to peer UUID given its name?

Also, another requirement is to support blocking request response. Is there
a way to achieve this using zyre basic primitives. I see that
zyre_whisper() is a non blocking send. Please correct me if my assumptions
are not right and provide guidance on the right usage.

I really appreciate any help on this..

Thanks
Kalyan