[zeromq-dev] Notes from a hackathon

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Sat Feb 7 20:44:07 CET 2015

On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 6:16 PM, André Caron <andre.l.caron at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think this discussion was very interesting, especially if it leads to some
> newer, more convenient APIs, but I would really appreciate if there was some
> experimentation with some new socket types before the core ZMQ concepts are
> revised :-)

If anyone breaks user space I'll Torvalds them personally :-)

I thought this was understood, though it seems worth repeating
explicitly: we do not change existing stable contracts (and that
means, existing core concepts do not get revised). What we do is
experiment with new models and when these become mature and clearly
better, we deprecated the old ones and encourage people to use the new
ones in new code. That can take years. Often the old model remains as
a good answer for certain problems.

An example would be NULL security vs. CURVE security, or zhash vs.
zhashx in CZMQ.