[zeromq-dev] No rate limitation using JZMQ

Steven McCoy steven.mccoy at miru.hk
Sat Dec 19 00:29:09 CET 2015

On 18 December 2015 at 12:44, Benjamin Errouane <Benjamin2002 at gmx.de> wrote:

> A new parameter was added in PGM that can set the individual limits for
>> Original Data (ODATA) and Repair Data (RDATA) packets thus reserving
>> bandwidth for repairs and ancillary data.
>

> Are these parameters somehow accessible in JZMQ? I would have thought the
> setRate-function would use these limits in some way. But if I'm
> understanding your statements correctly the throttling is achieved in the
> zmq-Framework rather than in the OpenPGM-framework, right?

ZeroMQ has a small subset of the socket options OpenPGM makes available.
This is driven by demand, thus the C++ API and the Java API would both have
to be modified.

> The general recommendation however for ZeroMQ users has been to implement
>> a level of application rate limiting before feeding into ZeroMQ, however it
>> can be coarse limiting as the underlying framework implements fine grained
>> throttling.
>

> I thought about limiting the rate at application level but this is not
> really the preferred solution, because the network should be adaptable to
> changes in the network topology. What kind of throttling does Zmq
> implement? Right now I'm not experiencing any throttling, but this may be
> due to the application currently pushing messages at maximum rate.

There is currently a fixed leaky bucket in OpenPGM, there is nothing
fundamentally stopping anyone changing this to a token bucket or to an
adaptive scheme.

One more question regarding the currently implemented rate limitation. Do I
> understand it correctly that the rate is limited for a single buffer, so if
> I send one huge message, the rate is limited. But the rate is not limited
> between different messages, so sending a lot of tiny messages is not
> rate-limited the same way?

The rate limit is for everything sent on the wire including protocol
messages.

Generally you will find better throughput using less large packets,
jumbograms preferred, especially on Windows platforms.  However the library
has really only been designed at low latency high packet rate scenarios.

--
Steve-o