[zeromq-dev] No rate limitation using JZMQ

Steven McCoy steven.mccoy at miru.hk
Fri Dec 18 17:55:24 CET 2015

On 18 December 2015 at 08:30, Benjamin Errouane <Benjamin2002 at gmx.de> wrote:

> I'm experiencing high loss when using JZMQ with the pgm transport (up to
> 100%), when the application is trying to send as fast as possible. In fact
> it tries to send way faster than the Gigabit-LAN is allowing. I think this
> might be the reason why no paket is arriving.
>
> Any suggestion how to fix that?
>
> As explained before, limit the rate via setRate(int) has no effect.

This would require some investigation, the Rate socket option is defined to
limit the overall usage of the network channel bandwidth.  Due to ZeroMQ
design this usually means pushing data as fast as possible however this
does not work well with protocols without congestion control.  A new
parameter was added in PGM that can set the individual limits for Original
Data (ODATA) and Repair Data (RDATA) packets thus reserving bandwidth for
repairs and ancillary data.  The general recommendation however for ZeroMQ
users has been to implement a level of application rate limiting before
feeding into ZeroMQ, however it can be coarse limiting as the underlying
framework implements fine grained throttling.

It is a continuing problem with reliable multicast in general and one may
wish to try the NORM protocol as an alternative.

--
Steve-o