[zeromq-dev] Using ephemeral port with signaler (Windows/Mono)

Doron Somech somdoron at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 10:52:08 CEST 2014

Hi All,

In NetMQ there is a problem with the Signaler class (
https://github.com/zeromq/libzmq/blob/master/src/signaler.cpp) running on
Linux with Mono, the issue it that from time to time the fixed port is
already in use, although mutex is used (this only happen on Linix).

I want to solve it by using ephemeral port on the Signaler instead of fix
port (it will also make create sockets cheaper because no mutex is needed),
I also see that in zeromq4 that is an option in the signaler
implementation, however the option is not used because in the config file
the signaler_port is not set to 0.

Before making the change I want to know if there is a reason not to do it?
I guess zeromq didn't use it for a reason? Can I exhaust the available
ports?

Any help will be appreciated,

Doron