[zeromq-dev] CZMQ community & red cards

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Fri Oct 17 06:40:17 CEST 2014

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 4:09 AM, Arnaud Kapp <kapp.arno at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,

Hi Arnaud :)

> It seems I am a bit late but here is what I think.
> I'm a bit sad that the discussed thread lead to this. I know discussion have
> been heated recently and it would've been great if it were avoided. But hey,
> it happens.

Indeed, it happens... my experience is that projects sometimes attract
bad actors, and then the goal switches from education to exclusion.
I'll quote from my long analysis of the AMQP working group failure:
"My only real yardstick is my own pain level, and the observed pain
levels of those I work with."

We will absolutely experience this again, and again. It is a game of
numbers. I hope with this case we have established a procedure and
sanctions for dealing with bad actors.

Please, fellow ZeroMQ maintainers, if you find someone creating pain
in your projects, do not be afraid to invoke authority. Make it a
public affair, make your accusations clear and unemotional, get
statements from others, allow the accused to explain, and if there is
no sincere regret, take firm action.

While it may feel difficult to say "please go away" to a contributor,
if you do not take action then you may find your project hijacked and
corrupted.

Arguably C4.1 makes it easier for bad actors to get into a project.
However it also makes it much easier for good actors to participate,
so it's a good tradeoff.

I have modified C4.1 to make the banning authority explicit. I'll also
recommend that you be a little careful when promoting contributors to
maintainer. It would be harder to ban a fellow maintainer.

> I also happen to group not-so-much related stuff into pull request so I may
> be biased.

Well, of course. It follows naturally from the "don't use branches" model.

> About the code change itself...

The change barely merits discussion. If anyone dislikes it, they may
remove it (as always). It is a useful helper when doing actor work
(inproc), for getting integers that zsock_send() has sent.

Hyper-sensitivity to perceived insult, to deflect discussion and play
the victim, is a classic tactic of an abusive personality. It's not a
temporary thing. Try to placate someone like that, and things get
worse and worse.

Thank you all for your patience and advice.