[zeromq-dev] Aeron messaging

Steven McCoy steven.mccoy at miru.hk
Wed Nov 19 16:14:00 CET 2014

On 19 November 2014 04:58, Pieter Hintjens <ph at imatix.com> wrote:

> Not sure about this. It looks like "we can do ZeroMQ better", and yet
> they stay away from mentioning ZeroMQ as a competitor (as did Martin
> in his Strange Loop talk). I mean, how can you say "open source high
> performance messaging" and then use AMQP and JMS as your comparison
> points?

It is mentioned in the blog and other places, such that Aeron can sit
side-by-side with PGM underneath ZeroMQ.  There are a lot of links at the
end of the HighScalability.com article, Todd Montgomery chimes in a lot
with the references.

But I do agree with their design that the core architectural piece is a
reliable log, but I am perplexed how Aeron supports congestion control but
they are only going to implement back pressure.  The major problem with PGM
is lack of a congestion control mechanism that scales above 10k/s, the
reliability can certainly be improved alongside the memory usage with the
log design from Aeron but I am still left wanting more.

--
Steve-o