[zeromq-dev] Assertion failure in mailbox.cpp

Steve Murphy murf at parsetree.com
Thu May 22 18:47:16 CEST 2014

I had roughly similar problems that drove me crazy,
but was able to solve most of them with a call to
zclock_sleep(x) placed in just the right spot, to
allow the asynchronous nature of things to calm down.

That or handshaking. Sometimes, as little as 8 msec
was enough to solve the problem. Usually, the place
where this is needed is not in a critical loop.

murf

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 4:10 AM, Jon Gjengset <jon at thesquareplanet.com>wrote:

> > > Could there be a race on the message queue inside inproc?
> >
> > Could well be, at shutdown time.
> >
> > I can't reproduce the problem using your example. It might be easier
> > to make an example that creates inproc pairs, uses them briefly, and
> > then shuts down the context, and does this rapidly in a loop.
>
> I've been trying to come up with a minimal test case now for a couple of
> days, and I just cannot seem to make it crash the same way.. Whether
> that means the bug is really in my code or that it is only triggered by
> a very specific situation, I don't know. The fact that the code runs
> perfectly using other queueing libraries suggests the latter, but I
> can't be certain.
>
> Unfortunately, I can't devote much more time to chasing this bug this
> time around, so I might have to seek out other solutions. I'll report
> back if I happen to find the culprit when I get some spare time to look
> back into this.
>
> Thanks for the help anyway!
> Jon

Steve Murphy