[zeromq-dev] IPv6 Compile-time conditional support

Lionel Orry lionel.orry at gmail.com
Sat May 17 11:40:02 CEST 2014

Dear list,

I am new to the list so I hope I'm not asking a question already asked.

I am in the process of integrating zeromq in an embedded solution
using a uclibc toolchain that I cannot customise, and which has, as
the majority of uclibc toolchains (this is configurable when creating
the toolchain AFAIK), the IPv6 support disabled.

Thus, simply said, I cannot compile zeromq library v3.2.4 with that toolchain.

I noticed the only place where it causes a problem is cleanly located
in tcp_address.cpp, and is never reached while ipv4only option remains
set. So I am asking myself and now you all, if it was technically
possible to make the ipv6 resolution code conditionally compiled
depending on the toolchain capabilities without breaking the zmq
API/ABI/protocol/whatever matters.

I tend to think it is feasible, and that would greatly help in
spreading zeromq on embedded platforms, where it can be very useful as
you can guess.

What do you think about it?

I am not sure to be good enough to cook a proof-of-concept patch but I
could try, since this is quite blocking for me right now.

With kind regards,
Lionel