[zeromq-dev] Generated vs. explicit identities

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Thu May 15 16:38:29 CEST 2014

Hi,

There's long been an API check that ZMQ_IDENTITY values may not start
with binary zero. This restriction doesn't solve any real problem as
far as I can tell, and in fact can create problems when using random
binary identities (e.g. UUIDs).

I've pushed a patch that removes the restriction. There was no test
case for the API rule.

https://github.com/zeromq/libzmq/pull/1037

It is plausible that there are applications which depend on this first
byte to detect internal vs. explicit identities. As far as I can tell
these can continue to work unchanged.