[zeromq-dev] czmq / avahi integration into zloop

Michael Haberler mail17 at mah.priv.at
Tue May 13 08:04:45 CEST 2014

Am 13.05.2014 um 07:34 schrieb Pieter Hintjens <ph at imatix.com>:

> I hate to be the one asking the stupid question, but why did you make this? :)

We'll use zeroconf/DNS-SD for service discovery in the machinekit project

this code will be the basis for two czmq-style helper functions which can announce services, or just subscribe to service announcements on a czmq socket - think of zbeacon() for DNS-SD

stock avahi only supports glib and qt event loops, or a setup with its own thread; all of which make it difficult to run this in an attached thread and integrated with a helper running zthread_fork() and its own event loop

it's not as general as Björn's aware, but covers the common case for czmq use without introducing another event loop mechanism

- Michael