[zeromq-dev] Urgent! Where is the link between ZeroMq and IpoIB

Jim Garlick garlick at llnl.gov
Mon May 5 22:53:51 CEST 2014

Hi Krishna,

As far as I know ZeroMQ can only use IPoIB via normal IP sockets.
Looks like the idea of an RDMA zeromq transport came up in 2011,
but went nowhere?

http://lists.zeromq.org/pipermail/zeromq-dev/2011-December/014784.html

Another interesting example of adding RDMA support to a project with
pluggable transports is net/9p (transport for fs/v9fs) in the Linux kernel.
It might be useful to look at that code and follow its history to understand
the problem better.

http://lwn.net/Articles/301896/

As I recall the orig code in 2008, though functional, didn't deliver a big
performance win over TCP (for that stack) and introduced new failure modes,
making it unattractive and frustrating for casual users.  It languished
for years in a semi-broken state until people at CEA/Bull began working
on it again in 2012-13.  I'm guessing the second order issues CEA/Bull
dealt with would be instructive.  Also their Mooshika RDMA abstraction,
which I think allows for a wireshark tap and testing w/o Infiniband card
could be interesting.

https://github.com/martinetd/mooshika

Jim