[zeromq-dev] Relicensing CZMQ & other projects

Shon Love slove at fatpot.com
Thu Mar 20 15:37:55 CET 2014

Hey,

  I'm fine with MPLv2.

Thanks,
Shon

-----Original Message-----
From: zeromq-dev-bounces at lists.zeromq.org [mailto:zeromq-dev-bounces at lists.zeromq.org] On Behalf Of Pieter Hintjens
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2014 3:58 AM
To: zeromq-dev at lists.zeromq.org
Subject: [zeromq-dev] Relicensing CZMQ & other projects

Hi all,

The LGPLv3+static link license we've used for years has worked well except in one regard: as a custom license, it's hard for some legal teams to digest.

The MPL v2, which came out in 2012, solves this problem while keeping the goal of sharing patches.

It's not practical to relicense libzmq to MPLv2, however it is for other projects. We're starting with CZMQ, and will broaden this to other projects over time.

Does anyone have objections to this shift? If not, I'll document it on the wiki page as a recommendation for new projects. The C4.1 process already has MPLv2 as an allowed license.