[zeromq-dev] Relicensing CZMQ & other projects

Olaf Mandel o.mandel at menlosystems.com
Thu Mar 20 11:48:40 CET 2014

Am 20.03.2014 10:57, schrieb Pieter Hintjens:
-Snipp-
> It's not practical to relicense libzmq to MPLv2, however it is for
> other projects. We're starting with CZMQ, and will broaden this to
> other projects over time.
>
> Does anyone have objections to this shift? If not, I'll document it on
> the wiki page as a recommendation for new projects. The C4.1 process
> already has MPLv2 as an allowed license.

Hello,

can you clarify: do you plan to add the MPLv2 to the existing LGPLv3
license or do you plan to replace the LGPLv3 with the MPLv2?

The latter might be troublesome as anyone creating a (L)GPL binary would
then dual-license CZMQ anyway. Is this really simpler for legal teams
than the static linking exception?

As I am not a lawyer, my opinion is based on info "stolen" from
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#MPL-2.0

Best regards,
Olaf