[zeromq-dev] Relicensing CZMQ & other projects

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Thu Mar 20 10:57:53 CET 2014

Hi all,

The LGPLv3+static link license we've used for years has worked well
except in one regard: as a custom license, it's hard for some legal
teams to digest.

The MPL v2, which came out in 2012, solves this problem while keeping
the goal of sharing patches.

It's not practical to relicense libzmq to MPLv2, however it is for
other projects. We're starting with CZMQ, and will broaden this to
other projects over time.

Does anyone have objections to this shift? If not, I'll document it on
the wiki page as a recommendation for new projects. The C4.1 process
already has MPLv2 as an allowed license.