[zeromq-dev] newbie question about zeromq use for a peer to peer messaging program

Gregg Irwin gregg at pointillistic.com
Thu Mar 20 01:37:24 CET 2014

Hi Johnny,

JL> This is a general and broad question. I am not a developer but
JL> know enough to be dangerous.

It would be worth your time to look at The Guide. It's well written
and you can just skip the code and read the concepts and patterns.

  http://zeromq.org/intro:read-the-manual

0MQ can do a lot. Way more than you need, but it is also very easy to
use.

JL> Can it send to multiple  receivers (how many, >100 receivers)?

Yes. You can do fan-in and fan-out connections easily. Pub-sub is a
common pattern here.

JL> Would it be asynchronous or multi-threaded?

That's up to you. Keep it simple to start. Async is easy, so no
worries there.

JL> And how quickly? Would that depend on the capacity/horsepower of
JL> the sending machine?

Very. The machine matters, but 0MQ is very fast.

  http://zeromq.org/area:faq#toc6

JL> Could the receiver send a simple message back (pre-configured)?

Yes. Very easy.

JL> Can a signal be sent to a server in the cloud?

Yes.

Reading the guide should get you very excited about the possibilities.

Good luck!

-- Gregg