[zeromq-dev] Effect of RCVHWM on pull socket at context termination?

Jonathan Kamens jkamens at quantopian.com
Mon Mar 10 20:00:44 CET 2014

Hi Pieter,

Thanks for your reply. I'm still confused, though...

> When you close TCP sockets, you will lose any data that hasn't yet
> been received. There's no way to force data to be received except by
> some kind of handshake back from the receiving application.

The documentation for zmq_term says, "For each socket within context,
all messages sent by the application with zmq_send() have either been
physically transferred to a network peer, or the socket's linger period
set with the ZMQ_LINGER socket option has expired." Is that correct?
I.e., is it correct that if data is being transmitted over a TCP socket,
and ZMQ_LINGER is set to -1, a context won't terminate until data sent
over that socket has been transmitted to the other end of it?

If that is correct, then how can the data be lost on close if it has
already been physically transferred to the other end of the socket? What
am I missing?

Thanks,

Jonathan Kamens