[zeromq-dev] JZMQ stable/production ready build

Petr Postulka ppostulka at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 17:34:25 CEST 2014

Hi Trevor,

thank you very much for your prompt response and publishing new version to
maven central.

It would be awesome to have native libraries for different platforms inside
the jar file, but I understand that it is not a simple task ... I'm pretty
sure that many people will love it once finished.

I have couple more questions ...

1) you going to publish current master to maven central with corresponding
native Linux x64 jar file, am I right? Is current master stable enough?
2) what process we should follow to build the same version from same code
base for Windows x64 platform? Or are you going to provide corresponding
Windows x64 build too? I'm mainly Java/C# guy, so no experience with JNI,
C++ stuff ... can we use the same jzmq.jar file you will publish to maven
central and just use jzmq.dll (which we build from VS) and set it through
-Djava.library.path VM parameter? Or do we have to use different jzmq.jar
file, which is built in VS together with jzmq.dll? I'm asking because I
want to know how to setup our gradle project and whether we can use the
same maven central dependency for the main jzmq.jar file (no matter on
which platform we running) and just switch between native libraries based
on the platform.

3) which version of ZeroMQ (libzmq) we should install with this new build?
Would you recommend us 3.2.4 or 4.0.4? We are looking for the most stable
version, not interested in CURVE stuff for now.

4) Just to understand your plan to include native libraries inside the jar
file in the future - does it mean that in the end there will be:
- jzmq.jar file - main jar file, same for all platforms
- jzmq-native.jar file, which will contain .so, .dll. .dylib files and
based on the platform you launching on it will find and load the
corresponding native library? Or there will be 3 different native jar files
for each platform ... corresponding to current Linux x64 jar file published
on maven central. This native jar file you then just add to your classpath
and that's it, right?
- plus you will have to install ZeroMQ (libzmq libraries) for the specific
platform ... from the packages on zeromq website.

Sorry if some of my questions are stupid, but because I have no experience
with C++/JNI stuff I'm not sure what is possible or not.

Thank you very much for all your help in this manner.

Kind regards,

Petr