[zeromq-dev] New Projects: NetMQ.WebSockets and JSMQ

Michael Haberler mail17 at mah.priv.at
Mon Jun 23 13:53:14 CEST 2014

Hi Doron,

Am 23.06.2014 um 10:25 schrieb Doron Somech <somdoron at gmail.com>:

> Hi All,
>
> I'd like to introduce two new projects I'm working on:
>
> https://github.com/somdoron/JSMQ - ZeroMQ/NetMQ javascript client over WebSockets
> https://github.com/somdoron/NetMQ.WebSockets - WebSockets extension to NetMQ, uses stream socket type and provide a new socket object that has very similar interface to NetMQ socket object.
>
> Both available on nuget (include prerelease) and at a beta stage.
>
> You can read more about the projects at my blog:
> http://somdoron.com/2014/06/introducing-netmq-websockets-jsmq/

very interesting since I'm on a related venture - relaying zmq router/dealer and xsub/xpub to JS via libwebsockets (C++)

I'm a complete JS retard, but if I understand your JSMQ layer right it essential wraps multipart frames (with leading 0/1 per frame == MORE flag) over ws frames so they can be assembled/sent from normal zmq multipart frames in the proxy, and message structure retained?

if this is so I'll adopt your scheme for the zmq/ws proxy I'm working on, because preservation of multiframe messages on the ws side is an open issue for me, and with your approach it would be more 'end-to-end', the zmq/ws proxy being a zeromq proxy proper in terms of socket identity

maybe this kind of ws framing warrants a bit of an RFC? happy to co-author - could help interoperability downstream

- Michael

ps: where I am : http://goo.gl/4TfWBh

nonobvious aspects are:
- a key feature is automatic JSON <-> protobuf conversion since we use protobuf-over-zmq internally, see: http://goo.gl/9OEcHY and http://goo.gl/sY6sEI respectively
- I use URI arguments to drive proxy behavior: http://goo.gl/FVddoJ - rather flexible to tack on this or that option, uses liburiparser
  a client-side URI to connect to the proxy could look like so: