[zeromq-dev] Questions about Shutdown

Paulmichael Blasucci pblasucci at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 18:19:19 CEST 2014

So, after 3 years of putting ZMQ in production, I'm worried I may be operating under mistaken assumptions. In the guide (and in my code), there is a fairly consistent pattern:

1. Create/configure context
2. Create/configure sockets
3. Actual code which uses sockets
4. Clean up sockets
5. Clean up context

This seems quite logical, and has served me quite well. However, after some recent discussions, I'm concerned the last two steps above can, on occasion, be reversed. In other words, an application may (intentionally) dispose of the context while one, or more, sockets are still "live". Is this true? If so, can anyone elaborate on when this is necessary?

Thanks!