[zeromq-dev] zmq_ctx_term vs zmq_ctx_destroy vs zmq_ctx_shutdown

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Sun Jun 15 15:03:44 CEST 2014

zmq_term/zmq_init are an older deprecated API. We switched to a more
consistent model for the API in 3.2, so zmq_ctx_xxx for all methods
that work with contexts, like zmq_msg_xxx for all methods that work on
messages.

zmq_ctx_destroy was the initial choice for the termination method.
However people pointed out that the context isn't actually destroyed,
it's terminated, so we added _term() as a synonym. To be honest I'm
not keen on _term() as it seems inconsistent for no benefit. We
destroy sockets and contexts asynchronously... I'd prefer _destroy().

More usefully, we later added _shutdown() method that stops the
context but leaves it in existence; this allows a two-stage shutdown,
with signals being sent to all sockets waiting on blocking operations,
and then allowing the app to call zmq_ctx_destroy/term when wanted.

-Pieter